QuantumX MX840A - 8-channel universal amplifier
MX840A is the 8-channel universal amplifier of HBM's QuantumX data acquisition system. MX840A convinces not only by its compact size - but also by its outstanding flexibility, measurement performance and ease of use.
QuantumX MX840A Product Description
Thousands of measurement engineers from many different industries have already opted for QuantumX by HBM. The reason is quite obvious: This universal amplifier system with its powerful modules shows what measurement will be in the future: compact, flexible and extremely reliable.
A really universal amplifier
Do you have to cope with frequently varying measurement tasks? Do you use many different transducers? Do you want to be ready for the future? The MX840A universal amplifier is the right choice for you. Its universal connectors make MX840A ideally suited for all commontransducer technologies. No matter what principles of measurement you want to use and how you combine them ...
MX840A acquires data provided by the following transducer types:
- Full and half bridge (strain gages and inductive transducers)
- Voltage (± 100mV, ± 10V, ± 60V)
- Current (+ 20 mA)
- Resistors (PTC, NTC, KTY, ...)
- Resistance thermometers (PT100, PT1000)
- Thermocouples (Types K, N, T, E, …)
- Piezoresistive transducers
- Pulse counting, rotary encoder, frequency measurement, SSI
Advanced Plug & Measure enables MX840A to fully automatically identify your transducers
Measurement acquisition using MX840A is very easy:
- Connect the transducer
- ... and start measuring immediately - at 24-bit resolution!
Benefit from Advanced Plug & Measure: No complex parameterization and configuration required in advance. You can start easuring immediately thus substantially reducing setup time.
APM uses TEDS, the Transducer Electronic Data Sheet. TEDS ensures fast, convenient and secure transfer of your transducer details to QuantumX and MX840A. Should your transducers not yet support TEDS, just upgrade them to this technology or rely on HBM's convenient sensor database providing many predefined transducer types.
MX840A: compact size and multiple use
MX840A bundles technically superior functions and compact size. With only 174 x 44 x 119 mm (6.9 x 1.7 x 4.7 inch), MX840A fits perfectly into every test bench. Even if there is only limited space available.
Upgrade your measuring system with additional synchronized modules. Install the individual modules close to the respective measuring points. Using a distributed system you reduce cabling expenditure and, at the same time, increase measurement quality through digitization at an early stage.
QuantumX is the perfect tool for typical tasks in the field of test and measurement and has already become established in many industries such as automotive, aviation, railroads and marine, energy generation, mechanical engineering, and automation.
Like all other QuantumX modules, MX840A benefits from a comprehensive software package.
- The free "QuantumX Assistant" sets standards in terms of ease of use.
- catman AP measurement software is HBM's professional software package providing extensive graphical visualization options ranging from algebraic calculations through to automation of the complete range of tasks. The user interface can be individually configured and offers many export options.
- GlyphXE analysis software enables graphical modeling and professional analysis of your data. This is supported by comprehensive libraries.
- The "QuantumX VI library" enables LabVIEW® users to graphically program their data acquisition and test sequence. Examples are provided to support the first steps.
- The "QuantumX API for .NET and COM", for example, allows of object-oriented programming of individual graphical user interfaces on the modern Microsoft .NET framework. A text-based programming language, for example C#, enables both simple and complex tasks to be efficiently completed.
Working standard calibration included
Calibrating your amplifier is the best guarantor of correct and traceable test results. With QuantumX, you benefit from the reliability of a working standard calibration right from the start. Every QuantumX instrument includes an electronic working standard calibration certificate! This is guaranteed by a calibration seal on the instrument.
NEW: QuantumX MX840A rugged version
An ultra-rugged version of QuantumX MX840A is available especially for use in harsh environments.
The major operating parameters:
- IP67 degree of protection (dust, water)
- Extended temperature range from -35 to 80 °C (-30 to 175 °F)
- Vibration/fatigue strength up to min. 5 g
- Shock-proof up to 35 g
The system's ultra-rugged design provides optimal conditions for extremely reliable measurement data acquisition even in harsh field conditions - backed by intensive environmental testing.
Typical fields of application include:
- Mobile measurements and tests in vehicles
- Stationary measurements and tests on buildings
- Test bench applications
- Reliable measurement results even in harsh environments
- Investment protection
SCM-SG120/350 Adapter for measuring single strain gauges
The QuantumX universal data acquisition system provides the SCM-SG120/350, an adapter for measuring single strain gauges.
The adapter completes the quarter bridge with 3 passive resistors to form a full bridge. The two adapter versions that are available have been balanced to 120 or 350 ohm resistors and can be directly plugged on and fixed to the module's D-Sub-HD socket.
Installation and parameterization is very easy: Solder on the three wires in the adapter and plug it onto the measuring amplifier. All required parameters such as bridge and gauge factor, bridge excitation, physical unit and calibration data are directly stored on the adapter via software (TEDS).
Main features of SCM-SG120/350
- Measurement of single strain gauges
- 2 versions: 120 or 350 ohm strain gauges
- Connection to MX840, MX840A, MX440A, MX410
- Easy upgrading of existing functionality
- Fast parameterization (TEDS)
- Shunt calibration (reference signal)
catman®EASY/AP is the professional tool for measurement engineers and supports parameterization within few seconds using an extensible sensor database. The integrated TEDS editor enables reading and writing of TEDS data on a channel - for real Advanced Plug & Measure. catman®EASY/AP facilitates building up of user and visualization levels and features comprehensive analysis options. Graphical parameterization of the start and end conditions for test and measurement tasks is easy. The integrated formula editor allows on-line calculation of virtually any channel - without programming. The measured data can be saved in different formats, for example BIN, RPCIII, MAT, ASCII or XLS for analysis at any time.
The free QuantumX Assistant provides full access to your QuantumX system. The software ensures easy parameterization of all inputs and outputs. TEDS data can be read or written.
QuantumX driver package
The free QuantumX driver package allows integration into LabVIEWTM or proprietary software using .NET API (C++, C#, VB.NET).
NEW: QuantumX CANape driver
The QuantumX CANape driver enables the flexible QuantumX data acquisition system to be easily integrated into the CANape software tool from Vector Informatik. CANape handles communication with the electronic control unit as well as the key tasks such as data acquisition, calibration and diagnosis. QuantumX facilitates integration of additional transducers and sensors - in parallel and synchronously. The QuantumX amplifiers' universal functionality combined with the CANape driver make the system the ideal solution for functional optimization in test benches and road tests.
Integrated web server
The web server integrated in every module visualizes the measured data in any web browser on any computer or tablet PC - without software installation.
The DIAdemTM driver permits direct integration into this analysis tool.
Please enter your email address.
|Data Sheet - QuantumX MX840A-P (rugged version)|
|Operating Manual - QuantumX CANape Driver|
|Operating Manual - QuantumX rugged versions|
|Operating Manual for Data Recorder CX22|
|Operating Manual for EtherCAT Integration CX27|
Quick Start Guides
|Quick Start Guide|
|Adapter DSubHD − BNC (IEPE−MX410)|
|External temperature compensation (THERMO−MXBOARD)|
|FireWire 1394b PC-CARD|
|Mounting case clips - (CASECLIP)|
|Mounting case protection - (CASEPROT)|
|Mounting Instructions for Rugged Version Power Plug (CON-P1001):|
|Mounting Instructions for Rugged Version Sensor Plug 14 pole (CON-P1007)|
|Mounting Instructions for Rugged Version Sensor Plug 8 pole (CON-P1006)|
|Signal Conditioning Module FireWire-Extender (SCM−FW-EXT)|
|Strain gage connection in quarter-bridge circuit (SCM−SG120 / 350)|
Case Studies on QuantumX MX840A
Strain gauges can be used for measuring almost anything, even strain in braces. Watch our video!
The Concrete Laboratory at Aarhus University School of Engineering is expanding its facilities as student numbers increase. It therefore needed flexible and intelligent measurement equipment that could be configured easily.
Kai Le Vehicle Co is implementing the use of HBM’s modular QuantumX data acquisition system to improve its technologies for investigating possible design improvements.
Interfleet Technology are experts in the testing of railway vehicles. They have the challenge of acquiring and analyzing large volumes of measured data as efficiently and as correctly as possible, resulting in a thorough analysis...
Static and dynamic load tests completed in record time: SHP opts for QuantumX from HBM for bridge monitoring
Only five days were allowed for static and dynamic load tests on a new bridge across the Nitra river to be conducted by the Czech company SHP. One of the secrets behind the success: utilization of HBM's QuantumX data acquisition...
In order to improve the service life of its biogas plants, Swiss company AXPO Kompogas AG has decided to use a measurement technology solution from HBM. But how can sensors be securely and permanently installed in the wet and...
Leading global machine manufacturer ARBURG relies on data acquisition using QuantumX by HBM for both testing tasks in production and services.
In traffic, it often comes down to a matter of milliseconds. How do we react at the wheel in dangerous situations?With the aid of HBM measurement technology, Swiss engineer Mauro Balestra has developed a way of recreating...
Kee Safety uses HBM’s Quantum MX840A, U9B force transducers and catman®Easy software for the research and development of its horizontal life line, KeeLine, in both dynamic drop tests and static tests on full-scale built-up roofs...
Concerts nowadays, particularly when they involve pop music, are becoming more and more extravagant. Accordingly, the equipment used by the artists for light and sound is large and heavy. As there is a limit to the maximum load...
Software and Firmware Downloads
Get a Quote for MX840A!
Thank you for your interest in HBM. Please complete the form below and an HBM representative will respond shortly.
Key features MX840A
The following applies for each channel:
- 24 bit A/D conversion for synchronous, parallel measurements
- Sample rate: up to 19.2 kHz/channel, configurable
- Filters: Bessel, Butterworth 0.01 Hz to 3.2 kHz (- 1 dB)
- Electrically isolated inputs
- Supply for active transducers: 5 ... 24 V DC (0.7 watt)
- Permissible cable length to transducer: 100 m
- Transducer connection: D-SUB-15HD plug
- PC connection: Ethernet TCP/IP, Firewire or EtherCAT (via CX27)
- Supply voltage: 10 ... 30 V DC
- Dimensions: 44 x 174 x 119 mm (6.9 x 1.7 x 4.7 inch)
- Nominal (rated) temperature range: -20°C ... +60°C